The Pros and Cons of Office Automation
By definition, office automation is the use of technology in order to create, store and manipulate information within an organization. With that said, you can expect the transfer of information from one department to the other to be more accurate compared to having a human handler. If used in areas where information is extremely important, this system can prove to be very helpful. An example of a critical area for accurate information transfer would be a medical clinic.
In any medical clinic, it is important that only right information be recorded since patient records are unique to a specific person. If the record of one patient is misinterpreted to be that of another patient’s then the wrong medication might be given; thereby worsening an existing medical condition.
From a psychological point of view, patients come to a clinic because they do not feel so well. Hence, they may get cranky and easily irritated. It is important, then, for all staff to be highly efficient in order to provide the best healthcare service to all walk-in and calling patients. A team of highly trained professionals may do the job well but the consistency can be questioned especially when they are placed under great stress. So to resolve this small setback, office automation was introduced.
What Can Office automation Do in a Medical Clinic?
In a medical clinic, automation helps realize the right patient expectations. When chosen correctly, the system used could still extend the same warmth as a human receptionist thereby encouraging more loyal customers. Other benefits of office automation may include, but not limited to:
• Clinic personnel can keep track of outstanding balances that need to be paid and/or collected.
• The automation can set up alarms to remind staff of patients that need to be seen by the doctor on a specific day.
• Your medical staff will not need to manually file paperwork so they will have more time to dedicate to providing patient with the best services possible.
• If you have a huge clinic, the simultaneous distribution of records will allow all practitioners to accept patients at the same time.
• Since patients will be allowed to set their own appointments, they can personalize the experience and therefore be more satisfied of your clinic services.
There are a number of other things that the right software can do. But there should be some things that you need to consider before jumping right in and joining the growing number of automated medical clinics.
First of all, the implementation of an electronic system is something that cannot be done in just a single day. Yes, the system could be in place but your staff still needs to be trained on how to use it and how to interpret the data that has been electronically put in.
Second, it is a system so there are chances for bugs and breakdowns. This is a fact that you must consider prior to choosing a software provider. Choose a provider that provides 24/7 technical support as well as free upgrades and maintenance. Note that only the best in the industry can provide you with these services without affecting your clinic’s operations.
All in all, office automation can be the best thing that could happen to your medical practice.
Article by: Jane Susaeta